The sun is yellow. The summer is yellow. The mango is yellow. And we get yellow to swallow this mellow fellow! (ok, enough with the poetry!) 😅
Did you know according to Forbes, India is the largest producer of mangoes in the world? But, that’s not all. Interestingly, only 1% of the produce gets exported. The rest 99% are happily devoured by the mango frenzy nation!!! Yes, we are mad about mangoes!
We live in a country where, forget mortals, even gods are crazy about this yellow sunshine of happiness and cannot resist it. Hindu scriptures are filled with folklores surrounding mangoes. The most popular one being of Lord Hanuman — he flies towards the sun and devours it thinking it was a mango!!! Do we need to say anything more?
The fact is established that we, Indians, simply luurrrrvvvveeee our mangoes. But, here are 7 reasons proving that mangoes are in our hearts and souls! Read on…
1. We may be a couch potato for the entire year, refusing to leave the comfort of our homes; but, come mango season and we are more than happy to visit any and every relative, invited or uninvited, because… aamras!!!
2. Summer season meant pickle season! Our grannies sat down with raw mangoes and hundreds of spices to prepare aam ka achar. Every family had their own ‘secret mango pickle recipe’. And, we as kids, sat beside them as “helpers”— just to eat the bits and pieces of the raw fruit. Yummmyyy!
Image Credit: Vaya
3. We can have mangoes anytime and with anything — breakfast, brunch, lunch, snacks, dinner, midnight cravings, or just when we feel like. Hey, do we need a reason to relish mangoes? We have mangoes with roti, puri, rice, as chutney, pickle, curry, salad, lassi, ice cream, with water, milk, curd, and the list goes on and on. We eat mangoes with mangoes!
4. Indians never waste any part of mango. Here’s a breakdown:
This shows our love for mangoes, right? No? Read on…
5. Travel during the mango season — and you can spot almost every Indian proudly carrying boxes of mangoes as gifts for their loved ones. The airports, railway stations, bus stands or even taxis are filled with the sweet aroma of this juicy fruit. And why not? Mango is treated as a royal gift — it is liquid gold!
6. We have competitions around mangoes. Who can cut the best mango with unique shapes? Who can eat the mangoes fastest? Remember having a guthli-eating competition with cousins to see whose mango seed was whiter!? Ooh! Those childhood days…
7. And when the mango season is about to get over, we stock up on mangoes — to juice it, pulp it, and preserve it in the freezer to relish it for the rest of the year till the next mango season!
Mango can be found in every home, in every dish, in everyone’s heart. Our blood turns yellow due to excess of aamras. And why not? Mango is the king of fruits and our national fruit!
Aren’t we a crazy lot who simply can’t get enough of mangoes? Yep! We think so too… 😀
Mango is an emotion, and we feel it too deeply which is why we have shaped your favourite flavour in a new DESi avatar ❤️
Check out our brand new DESi POPZ Mango Lollipop made with your favourite mango and no preservatives, added colour, or sugar.
Available in kaccha aam and real aam flavours.
--Written By Simran Doshi
Do you know why lemons prevent nausea?
We wanted to know why too. So, we dug deeper and found out 7 reasons why lemons prevent nausea. Here we unveil the big secrets!
How much time does it take for my order to ship?
We take 1-2 days to process the order and then the products are shipped via courier partners. It takes anywhere between 2-5 days a product to reach.
Please note that the shipping costs are included in the product price.
What if I am not happy with the order because of the quality and taste?
GO DESi follows a transparent, no questions asked returns policy for all full-price products bought from the online store. You can return unused products you have ordered within 15 business days of the date of receipt. Return shipment fees will have to be borne by the customer.
How can I track my order?
Once the order is processed from our end and dispatched from our warehouse, courier partner will email you the details carrying your tracking number and the link to track your order.
What time of day will my order be delivered?
Our courier partners make sure they give you a call before delivering the product. Please make sure you are available to receive the calls as usually after three failed attempts at delivery followed by an email reminder from our team, the product shall be returned to our warehouse.
How are GO DESi products prepared?
We source/manufacture all our products from Micro Units based in Rural India. We work with Farmer cooperatives and Self Help Groups to bring classic Indian recipes and snacks for our consumers. All of the GO DESi products are “As is” i.e. made in the traditional manner by locals with tremendous knowledge about indigenous ingredients, flavors and ingredients giving GO DESi an unparalleled authenticity.
How does GO DESi ensure quality parameters at the Micro Units?
GO DESi not only undertakes the effort to find the lost recipes in the farmlands and rural kitchens but also standardizes these units and their products, paving a way for them to reach the urban markets.
We identify the Micro unit(s) and inspected them for quality & hygiene standards. Once on-boarded, these micro units are standardized as per GO DESi standards to make sure they meet all the statutory requirements and quality parameters. A quality controller at unit monitors the workers and the manufacturing process on a daily basis and ensures that only the best of products go out in the market.
Are GO DESi’s products suitable for kids?
Kids love our products.
All GO DESi products are made with 100% natural ingredients. None of our products contain any artificial preservatives, colors or flavors, making our products a perfect snack for all age groups alike.
How are GO DESi products different from other snacks available in the market?
We at GO DESi, live by the principle of Eat good, Do Good.
All GO DESi products are made from natural ingredients, are minimally processed, are preservative free, and have no added flavors or colors. Since our products are manufactured as close to the farm as possible, it helps preserve the authentic local flavors & formats tastes of the products.
While we strive to bring the authentic regional recipes from all over India, we ensure that a minimum of 30% of the final price that you pay goes back to the micro enterprise. This not only, increases the share of marginal farmers in the food value chain but also helps in creation of jobs and sustainable economic centers in rural areas.
Are GO DESi products vegetarian?
Yes. All our products are 100% vegetarian and are vegan-friendly as well.
Except for Imli pop & Ginger Kashaya, the other products are shipped in handy packs of Rs. 20 each. These packs are small enough to carry in your handbag or pocket.